- One of the lead counsel representing the Saugeen Ojibway Nation in its Aboriginal title claim to water and claim about the Crown’s fiduciary breach and failure to protect their land, currently before the Ontario Superior Court
- Lead counsel in a successful judicial review about Ontario’s failure to adequately consult and accommodate the Saugeen Ojibway in respect of aggregate mining in their traditional territory, including the failure to pay reasonable costs of the First Nations’ participation (Saugeen First Nation v. Ontario (MNRF), 2017 ONSC 3456 (CanLII))
- Represented the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs in its intervention at the Supreme Court of Canada regarding the Crown’s fiduciary duty to protect Indigenous lands in Williams Lake Indian Band v. Canada  1SCR 83
- Represented Athabascan Chipewyan First Nation in responding to Canada’s application to enforce compliance with the First Nations Financial Transparency Act
- Counsel for Pimicikamak in the Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench and Manitoba’s Court of Appeal in defence of their rights to be consulted and accommodated about conveyance of culturally significant lands and sites
- Represented Peguis First Nation in its participation at the Manitoba Clean Environment Commission hearings regarding the Keeyask Generation Project
- Counsel for First Nations in election disputes about custom election codes in federal court
- Represented the family in an inquest about an in-custody death of an Indigenous member of Pimicikamak in Thompson, Manitoba
Publications and Media
- "Making First Nations financial transparency fair", OKT Blog, October 28, 2015
- “Managing lands for treaty rights: strategies for the duty to consult and cumulative impacts“, presentation at As Long as the Rivers Flow, treaty rights conference, 2014.
- "Supreme Court releases decision in Keewatin", with Senwung Luk, OKT Blog, July 11, 2014
- “Redefining “Negotiation”: Court Blasts Crown For Unilateral Control of Specific Claims”, OKT Blog, January 31, 2014.
- Presentation, “Reconciliation and Infringement of Aboriginal and Treaty Rights: What is ‘Justified’?”, December 9, 2013, The Commons Institute’s Mawai’omi: Investing in Aboriginal Canada Conference.
- “West Moberly Supreme Court of Canada Denied Leave to Appeal”, OKT Blog, February 28, 2012.
- Presentation, “A General Introduction to the Duty to Consult and Accommodate, (with Roger Townshend), 2012, The Commons Institute.
- “BC Court of Appeal takes a step forward in West Moberly”, OKT Blog, June 1, 2011.
- Cathy Guirguis (with K. Huda, S. Rahman), “Social Capital and What it Represents: The Experience of the Ultra-Poor in Bangladesh” (2008) 1:3 Journal of Power at 295.
- Cathy Guirguis (with S. Allen & Merrell-Ann Phare), “Consulting with the Crown: A Guide for First Nations” (2007) Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources.
- Cathy Guirguis, “Colonial Structures, Displacement & Re-Location: First Nations in the Canadian Legal Context” (2007) York University, Faculty of Environmental Studies.
- Senior Editor, Osgoode Hall Law Journal, (2007) 44:3, 44:4, 45:1, 45:2 Osgoode LJ.
- Cathy Guirguis (with K. Huda & S. Rahman), “Building Social Capital for the Ultra Poor: Challenges and Achievements” CFPR-TUP Working Paper Series No. 6, Dhaka, Bangladesh: BRAC/Aga Khan Foundation of Canada, 2005 (Paper presented at Social Capital: Definition, Measurement, Applications, The Social Capital Foundation, Malta, September 20-22, 2005).
SAUGEEN OJIBWAY NATION TRIAL DECISION RELEASED FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: JULY 29, 2021Read More...
SAUGEEN OJIBWAY NATION TRIAL COMING TO AN END FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 16, 2020
Closing arguments are set to…Read More...
Grey County and the Saugeen Ojibway Nation (SON) have reached an agreement settling Grey County’s involvement in SON’s…Read More...