Publications and Media
- "Making First Nations financial transparency fair", OKT Blog, October 28, 2015
- “Managing lands for treaty rights: strategies for the duty to consult and cumulative impacts“, presentation at As Long as the Rivers Flow, treaty rights conference, 2014.
- "Supreme Court releases decision in Keewatin", with Senwung Luk, OKT Blog, July 11, 2014
- “Redefining “Negotiation”: Court Blasts Crown For Unilateral Control of Specific Claims”, OKT Blog, January 31, 2014.
- Presentation, “Reconciliation and Infringement of Aboriginal and Treaty Rights: What is ‘Justified’?”, December 9, 2013, The Commons Institute’s Mawai’omi: Investing in Aboriginal Canada Conference.
- “West Moberly Supreme Court of Canada Denied Leave to Appeal”, OKT Blog, February 28, 2012.
- Presentation, “A General Introduction to the Duty to Consult and Accommodate, (with Roger Townshend), 2012, The Commons Institute.
- “BC Court of Appeal takes a step forward in West Moberly”, OKT Blog, June 1, 2011.
- Cathy Guirguis (with K. Huda, S. Rahman), “Social Capital and What it Represents: The Experience of the Ultra-Poor in Bangladesh” (2008) 1:3 Journal of Power at 295.
- Cathy Guirguis (with S. Allen & Merrell-Ann Phare), “Consulting with the Crown: A Guide for First Nations” (2007) Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources.
- Cathy Guirguis, “Colonial Structures, Displacement & Re-Location: First Nations in the Canadian Legal Context” (2007) York University, Faculty of Environmental Studies.
- Senior Editor, Osgoode Hall Law Journal, (2007) 44:3, 44:4, 45:1, 45:2 Osgoode LJ.
- Cathy Guirguis (with K. Huda & S. Rahman), “Building Social Capital for the Ultra Poor: Challenges and Achievements” CFPR-TUP Working Paper Series No. 6, Dhaka, Bangladesh: BRAC/Aga Khan Foundation of Canada, 2005 (Paper presented at Social Capital: Definition, Measurement, Applications, The Social Capital Foundation, Malta, September 20-22, 2005).
OKT is proud to represent the Saugeen Ojibway Nation in their historic claims. Below is the press release announcing the start of this historic trial.
To download a copy of…Read More...
The Supreme Court of Canada released its decision today in Grassy Narrows First Nation v. Ontario (Natural Resources), 2014 SCC 48 [referred to as Keewatin, in the courts below]. In…Read More...