- Protected a sacred area in a Treaty 9 First Nation's traditional territory by securing an interim injunction against a mining company.
- Counsel for the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs in an intervention before the Public Utilities Board that secured a discounted Hydro rate for on-reserve residents.
- Worked with traditional Anishinabe lawmaking body at Sagkeeng First Nation to draft traditional laws, including a new Election Law.
- Represented Garden River First Nation in Essar Steel Algoma's CCAA proceedings.
- Lead counsel for First Nations at multiple environmental and regulatory proceedings, including the National Energy Board, Manitoba Clean Environment Commission and Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission.
- Bringing a defamation action against a prominent online commenter who had targeted a community leader with racist comments.
- Expanding the scope of an Inquest to consider the role that systemic racism played in the death.
Publications and Media
- Corey Shefman, "Time to Address Systemic Inequality", Editorial, Winnipeg Free Press (3 November 2016)
- The Disabled Professional: Duties and Obligations on a Licensing Body to Accommodate, Corey Shefman & Garth Smorang Q.C., (Winnipeg: Law Society of Manitoba, 2013)
This post is current to March 30, 2020.
The Premier announced late on March 28, 2020 that he will be banning public meetings of more than five people. This…Read More...
Many First Nations conduct elections based on the provisions in the Indian Act. Under the Indian Act, the Chief and Council hold office for two years unless their office becomes…Read More...
By Senwung Luk and Corey Shefman
On May 1st, 2018, Manitoba’ Public Utilities Board adopted recommendations made by the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs (“AMC”) to create a new electricity rate…Read More...