- Advice to First Nations and Indigenous organizations regarding protection of Indigenous knowledge and Indigenous data sovereignty issues.
- Advice to First Nations and national Inuit Women’s Health organizations on the co-development of distinctions-based Indigenous health legislation.
- Counsel for the Saugeen Ojibway Nation in its Aboriginal title claim to water and claim about the Crown’s fiduciary breach and failure to protect their land (2021 ONSC 4181), currently before the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- Counsel for Walpole Island First Nation at the Ontario Divisional Court regarding overlapping rights claims.
- Counsel to Innu Nation in the ongoing provincial inquiry into the treatment, experiences and outcomes of Innu in the child protection system.
- Counsel for First Nations at the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador regarding disclosure of records in support of Indigenous land claims.
- Counsel to First Nations in their challenge of discriminatory federal education funding models before the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
Publications and Media
- 3-5 December 2020, University of Toronto, Temerty Faculty of Medicine, Presentation: "Indigenous Land Treaty Rights, Indigenous Peoples as Stewards of the Land"
- 22 November 2021, Presentation - Law Society of Ontario, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion for Indigenous Peoples, “Promoting Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Law Firms”.
- 28 February 2022, Guest Lecture, Inquiries into Indigenous Deaths, Osgoode Hall Law School.
- 15 October 2021, Toronto Star, Opinion, "Remembering Joyce Echaquan: systemic racism and Indigenous deaths in health care."
- 3 December 2020, University of Toronto, Temerty Faculty of Medicine, Presentation (with Cathy Guirguis): "Colonization and Racism: How Legal Structures Affect the Health of Indigenous Peoples”.
- 2020, OKT Blog, “Weighing Alternatives to Indian Act Elections: Custom Election Codes and the FNEA”.
- Contributor, Aboriginal Law Handbook, 5th Edition (Toronto: Thomson Reuters), 2018.
- 26 May 2018, University of Toronto, Temerty Faculty of Medicine, Presentation: "Indigenous Health and the Law”.
- 2018, OKT Blog, “Colonialism, Land and Indigenous Health”.
- 7 June 2017, The Globe and Mail, Opinion, “Indigenous rights in Canada: Significant work still needed”.
- 2017, OKT Blog, “Supreme Court affirms that modern Treaties must be honoured”.
Weighing Alternatives to Indian Act Elections: Custom Election Codes and the FNEA
Many First Nations conduct elections based on the provisions in the Indian Act. Under the Indian Act, the Chief and Council hold office for two years unless their office becomes…Read More...
Colonialism, Land and Indigenous Health
At OKT, we hear first-hand from clients how their members experience poor health outcomes in hospitals and other medical facilities. Too often, we hear how entering into the health care system…Read More...
Supreme Court affirms that modern Treaties must be honoured
Despite co-management provisions in modern treaties, the Yukon Government acted unilaterally to try to impose what it wanted in the Peel Watershed. Today’s Supreme Court decision…Read More...