Publications and Media
- Workshop with TE Wealth on Community Growth & Sustainability, AFOA Conference, October 4, 2018, Ottawa ON
- BILL C-45: Regulation of Cannabis in Indigenous Communities”, OKT Blog, July 13, 2018.
- Panelist on Economic Development Panel, Canadian Bar Association Aboriginal Law Conference, June 1, 2017, Winnipeg MB
- Workshop with Renee Pelletier on the Duty to Consult and Accommodate, The Canadian Institute’s Annual Indigenous Consultation Atlantic, November 8, 2016, Membertou NS
- "What First Nation-Owned Businesses Need to Know About Collecting GST/HST", OKT Blog, August 26, 2016
- "Yes or no is the way to go in Aboriginal resource development", OKT Blog, September 25, 2015
- "BC Case Sets Out Principles for Good First Nations’ Governance", OKT Blog, July 3, 2015
- Shin Imai and Ashley Stacey, “Municipalities and the Duty to Consult Aboriginal Peoples: A Case Comment on Neskonlith Indian Band v Salmon Arm (City)” (2014) 47 UBC L Rev 293.
- Jaimie Lickers and Ashley Stacey, “First Nation Trusts in Canada: Rethinking Self-Governance 138 Years Later” (presented at the World Indigenous Legal Conference, 2014, submitted for publication).
- Martin Lapner and Ashley Stacey, “Supreme Court of Canada Finds Alberta Privacy Legislation Unconstitutional” (2013-2014) 3 Electronic Healthcare Law Review.
- Nikki Petersen and Ashley Stacey, “Does the Crown Hold a Duty to Consult Aboriginal Peoples Prior to Introducing Legislation” (May 31, 2013) 16 Ontario Bar Association 2.
What You Need to Know if You’re an Indigenous-owned Business Impacted by COVID-19
The recent outbreak of COVID-19 has severely disrupted Indigenous-owned businesses across the country. Businesses are being forced to scale back operations, lay off employees or shut down entirely, with Indigenous…Read More...
BILL C-45: Regulation of Cannabis in Indigenous Communities
*This blog has been updated since it was posted on July 13, 2018 to include a discussion on the Quebec market
On June 21, 2018, the Cannabis Act…Read More...
What First Nation-Owned Businesses Need to Know About Collecting GST/HST
When does Canadian law require First Nations-owned businesses on reserve to collect GST/HST?
When it comes to First Nation-owned businesses, what is involved and required in GST/HST registration and reporting…Read More...