Publications and Media
- “The History of Indigenous Treaties and Canada’s Long Creation Story.” Centre for International Governance Innovation, Global Youth Forum, Waterloo, ON, December, 2017.
- Nation to Nation and why it matters. OKT Blog, November 30, 2017.
- “First Nations Elections and Citizenship Law.” Indigenous Legal Issues, Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, ON, November, 2017.
- “Getting on with performance of Treaty commitments in Canada.” Canadian Council on International Law: UNDRIP Implementation in Canada, Ottawa, ON, November, 2017.
- “Sacred Water, Treaties, Declarations and First Nation Responsibilities.” Canadian Aboriginal Minerals Association, Toronto, ON, November, 2017.
- “Implementing the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples within Canadian Institutions.” Canadian Institute’s Advanced Administrative Law Conference, October 2017.
- “Anishinaabe Inakonigaawin: the Rules that Govern us Rightly.” CBA NEERLS & Department of Justice Meeting, Ottawa, ON, October, 2017.
- “United Nations Declarations on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, the Federal Principles and First Nation Expectations of Rights Implementation.” West Coast Environmental Law, Panel on Parliament Hill, October, 2017.
- “Manito Aki Inakonigaawin, Governance and Community Decision-making.” Grand Council Treaty #3 Mining Forum, Wabigoon Lake Ojibway Nation, October, 2017.
- “NAFTA, Inter-tribal Trade, the Jay Treaty and the International Civil, Political and Economic Rights.” First Nation Economic Advancement Conference, Toronto, ON, October, 2017.
- The Ten Commandments of A Better Relationship. OKT Blog, September 21, 2017.
- Monuments are one thing, Stare Decisis and Racist Colonial Law is Another. OKT Blog, August 31, 2017.
- “Indigenous Perspectives on Consultation and Engagement.” Federal/Provincial/Territorial Working Group on Indigenous Consultation and Accommodation, Ottawa, ON, June, 2017.
- “Engaging with Indigenous Laws, Traditions and Legal Institutions.” CBA Conference, Reflections on the RCAP: Canada’s Commitment to a Renewed Nation-to-Nation Relationship With Indigenous People, Winnipeg, MB, June, 2017.
- “Legal Context and Historical Fact-finding: Nation to Nation relationships from an Indigenous perspective.” Canadian Bar Association / OBA Conference, Toronto, ON, May, 2017.
- “Territorial Co-Governance, Indigenous Jurisdiction and Impact Assessment for Sustainability.” Presentation to the Assembly of First Nations ACCE Committee.
- “Indigenous Jurisdiction and Environmental Governance.” Environmental Workshop, Association of Iroquois and Allied Indians, March 2017.
- “An update on the federal environmental assessment legislation review: Perspective from a member of the Multi-Interest Advisory Committee and an overview of progressive reform ideas on the table for the EA Panel.” PDAC 2017, Toronto, ON.
- “Aboriginal Jurisdiction and Environmental Stewardship.” November 2016. Canadian Aboriginal Minerals Association, Ottawa, ON.
- "One year since the political accord: where are we now?", OKT Blog, August 10, 2016
- “Recent Federal Legislation Affecting Aboriginal Communities” OBA Program, September 2015, Toronto, Ontario.
- Anishinaabe Aki: Treaty #3 after 140 years (unpublished) July, 2013.
- “Developing and Implementing Consultation Protocols.” (unpublished). Pacific Business and Law Institute, Aboriginal Law 2011.
- “Treaty Councils and Mutual Reconciliation under Section 35.” (Fall 2007) Indigenous Law Journal 141.
- “Manidoo Mazina-igan: an Anishinaabe Perspective of Treaty #3” (unpublished), LL.M. Thesis, University of Toronto, 2007.
Since recreational cannabis became legal in Canada, many First Nations have been considering creating their own laws to regulate it, including its possession, use, cultivation, distribution and sale. We have…Read More...
On Thursday, September 27, 2018, the Ontario government introduced Bill 36: Cannabis Statute Law Amendment Act, 2018. This Act was brought forward with very little consultation with First Nations, and…Read More...