Lorraine Land is a partner at OKT, and she practices Aboriginal rights and environmental law. She regularly advises Aboriginal clients, and appears before Courts and tribunals, on Aboriginal land rights and claims, Aboriginal consultation issues, impacts and benefits agreements, energy project reviews, and environmental matters.
Lorraine has a Masters of Environmental Studies (with a concentration on Aboriginal co-management regimes), and a Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution. Before she was a lawyer, Lorraine worked for various national church and Aboriginal organizations on Aboriginal rights and environmental issues. Prior to re-joining OKT in 2009, Lorraine was Legal Counsel and the Acting Director of Legal Services for the Government of Nunavut, providing legal advice on a wide range of matters to the territorial government, and (as Acting Director) overseeing the provision of civil legal services in the territory.
In 2009, Lorraine received a Gold Key Alumni Award from Osgoode Hall Law School, for exceptional contributions to the legal profession and society, and accomplishment in the field of law. She is a member of the Ontario, Northwest Territories and Nunavut bars, past-chair of the Aboriginal Law Section of the Nunavut branch of the Canadian Bar Association, and served on the Executive of the Nunavut branch of the Canadian Bar Association.
Lorraine currently teaches a course entitled Aboriginal Peoples and Resource Development for Osgoode Law School’s Professional Development Program. Lorraine is listed as a “frequently recommended” lawyer in the Lexpert Directory.
- "Rethinking legal education – the Anishnaabe Law Camp", OKT Blog, September 26, 2016
- "TRC@1: Pop goes the weasel words? Translating UNDRIP into action", OKT Blog, May 12, 2016
- "ACFN Lawsuit Challenges Alberta Consultation Regime", OKT Blog, January 15, 2015
- "The dangerous mythology of vanishing explorers and tragically decimated Indians", OKT Blog, September 11, 2014
- “Creating the Perfect Storm for Conflicts Over Aboriginal Rights?”, OKT Blog Post, February 6, 2014.
- Conference Paper and Presentation, “Creating the Perfect Storm for Conflicts Over Aboriginal Rights: Critical New Developments in the Law of Aboriginal Consultation”, January 27, 2014, Aboriginal Law and Resource Development Conference, Commons Institute (Toronto).
- Presentation, “Decolonizing Relationships: Treaties and Beyond”, March 16, 2013, Annual Conference of the Law Union of Ontario.
- “A Legislative Road Map as Idle No More Revs Up”, OKT Blog Post, January 3, 2013.
- Presentation, “Aboriginal Title and Land Claims”, June 29, 2012, Fundamentals of Aboriginal Law Conference, Canadian Institute (Toronto).
- “Taking a Second Look at Those Attawapiskat Numbers”, OKT Blog Post, December 13, 2011.
- Presentation, “Death By A Thousand Goose Bites: First Nation – Municipal Consultation”, September 21, 2011, Negotiating With Aboriginal Communities Conference, Canadian Institute (Toronto).
- Lorraine Land, “Bearing and Sharing the Duty to Consult and Accommodate in the Grey Areas in Consultation: Municipalities, Crown Corporations and Agents, Commissions, and the Like” (Paper presented at the Aboriginal Law, Consultation and Accommodation Conference, Canadian Institute, February 24, 2011).
- Presentation, “Seeing the Consultation Forest for the Trees: Bearing and Sharing the Duty to Consult and Accommodate in the “Grey” Areas of Consultation”, February 23-24, 2011, Aboriginal Law, Consultation & Accommodation Conference, Canadian Institute (Toronto).
- Lorraine Land, “The Reconciliation Bandwagon: Putting Things Right with Aboriginal Peoples” (Autumn 2006) 29:4 Catalyst at 1.
- Lorraine Land, “First Nations Governance Act Sparks Anger” (Toronto: Citizens for Public Justice, 2003).
- Co-editor, “Nation to Nation: Aboriginal Sovereignty and the Future of Canada”, with John Bird and Murry MacAdam (Toronto: Citizens for Public Justice, 2003).
- Lorraine Land (with H.W. Roger Townshend), “Land Claims: Stuck in Never-never Land”, in J. Bird, L. Land & M. MacAdam, eds., Nation to Nation, Aboriginal Sovereignty and the Future of Canada (Toronto: Irwin Publishing, 2002).
- Lorraine Land, “Gathering Dust or Gathering Strength? What Should Canada Do with the Report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples” in Blindspots: Perspectives on the Federal Government’s Response to the Report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples (Ottawa: Aboriginal Rights Coalition, 2001).
- Lorraine Land, “Opinion Editorial: Burnt Church One of Many Simmering Hotspots”, September 1999, Toronto Star.
- Lorraine Land, “Playing Environmental Roulette with Aboriginal Cultures”, June 21-22, 1999, A Submission to the Inter-Church Inquiry into Northern Hydro Development and the Churchill-Nelson Hydro-Electric Project (Winnipeg).
- Lorraine Land, “Emerging Trends and Issues for Aboriginal Rights Support Work” (Toronto: Citizens for Public Justice, 1999).
- Lorraine Land, “Wîciwetowin – Walking Together. A Resource Kit on Aboriginal Issues” (Toronto: World Vision and the CJL Foundation, 1998).
- Lorraine Land, “Aboriginal Rights”, in Who Cares? Political Leadership and the Common Good (Toronto: Citizens for Public Justice, 1997) at 4.
- Lorraine Land, “Between A Rock and a Hard Place: Voisey’s Bay and the Innu and Inuit” (Spring 1997) Mustard Seed at 7.
- Lorraine Land, “Handmaidens of Chance: The Government Gambling Addiction” (Winter 1997) Mustard Seed at 6.
- Lorraine Land, “Recipe for Assimilation or a New Relationship? The Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples Report” (January 1997) 18:8 Catalyst at 1.
- Lorraine Land, “Reflections of an Activist on Aboriginal Issues” (Winter 1996/1997) 6:4 Solidarité at 7.
- Lorraine Land, “Klondike Fever Returns: The BHP and Voisey’s Bay Mines” (September 1996) 19:5 Catalyst at 1.
- Lorraine Land, “Now What? Holding Canada Together After the Referendum” (February 1996) 19:1 Catalyst at 1.
- Lorraine Land, “Fiscal Theology Wins the Day: Environmental Impact Reports Ignore Native Reality” (May 1995) 18:3 Catalyst at 1.
- Lorraine Land, “The Sacred Path: A Journey of Healing for Canadian Churches and Aboriginal Peoples” (Ottawa: The Aboriginal Rights Coalition, 1995).
- Lorraine Land, “Lubicon Cree Fight Sour Gas” (December 1994) 17:10 Catalyst at 7.
- Lorraine Land, “Issues and Concerns Which Should Be Addressed in the Impact Assessment of the Unocal Sour Gas Plant”, November 1994, A Submission to the Alberta Energy Resources Conservation Board on behalf of the Aboriginal Rights Coalition (Edmonton).
- Lorraine Land, “NATO Flights and Native Rights” (March 1994) 17: 2 Catalyst at 7.
- Lorraine Land, “Powerful Monuments: The Sainte-Marguerite III Dam Project” (September 1993) 16:6 Catalyst at 1.
- Lorraine Land, “Submission from the Aboriginal Rights Coalition”, June 1, 1993, A Submission to the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples (Ottawa).
- Lorraine Land, “Common Bonds, Common Struggle: Indigenous Peoples in the 1990′s” (February 1993) 16:1 Catalyst at 1.
- Lorraine Land, “Healing the Spirit First: The Anishnawbe Health Centre” (May 1992) Solidarité at 3.
- Lorraine Land, “Bibles and Blockades” in D. Englestad and J. Bird, ed. Nation to Nation: Aboriginal Sovereignty and the Future of Canada, 1st ed., (Toronto: Stoddart/Anansi: 1992) at 210.
- Lorraine Land, The Toolbox for Justice and Stewardship: A Kit for Activists (Toronto: CJL Foundation, 1992).
- Lorraine Land, “Fifty Two Years of Broken Promises for the Lubicon” (May 1991) Catalyst at 8.